Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I'll be waiting for you ...

I was notified yesterday that I had been nominated for a prestigious university award called the “Worlds Ahead” award. The assistant dean in the College of Arts and Sciences who read my dissertation was touched by the story of Debbie’s illness and death, and my perseverance through it. She nominated me for the award and I will receive special recognition at the commencement ceremony from University President Rosenberg. I received this email from the history department this morning:

………………………………….
Dear All,

Joseph Holbrook, who will receive his PhD in December, was named a "Worlds Ahead" graduating student, and he will be specially honored by President Rosenberg at Fall commencement.

This is our second PhD in a row to be recognized as "Worlds Ahead" -- keep up the good work doctoral students (and faculty!) 

And congratulations, Joseph!
………………………………….
I went to forward this email to my kids and my brother. I could not find my brother’s email address with his first name, so I entered in “Holbrook” and guess who’s name came up? Debbie Holbrook. For a moment … I wanted so badly to forward the email to her …
Debbie wrote this to me in her journal in June 8, 2010:

If I don’t get to see you graduate please ask the kids to go for me. What an accomplishment. You did it! Either way I will be rejoicing with you (here or there). I will say “That’s my Joseph!” He did it!” and I will watch to see the doors the Lord opens for you. I believe there are exciting years ahead. I hope to share them with you, but if I can’t please choose LIFE! And enjoy it. I love you more than life itself and I will be waiting for you when that time comes.
Your loving admirer, Deb.


No comments:

Post a Comment