Friday, October 12, 2012

April 1, 1987 - A Bad day in Bogotá

Debbie and I moved with our children to Bogotá, Colombia in 1987 to work as missionaries with young singles and college undergrads. This particular journal entry represents one of her low points, just a few months after we arrived. Good Morning Lord, I'm sorry Lord, but physically, I'm very tired. I took the 4 children and went to Carulla last night to go shopping and we were there for hours. I brought the girls some Leggo like blocks which they are enjoying. At times i get frustrated because there are always people here and now Kico and Manuel's car is parked in the garage so the kids can't play there. And if its empty and someone comes with a car, the polite thing to do would be to let them park inside, Everyone thinks that our stuff is theirs. I told Joseph "my house is not even my own", at times I feel like weeping. And yesterday the girls left the door open while they were having a picnic outside and somehow a man slipped into our house and took our radio, tape player, Sarah's organ and slipped out again without anyone seeing or hearing him. The Lord gave me Psalm 142 before all this happened-- He knew! I was sitting right upstairs at the top of the stairs and I heard nothing. I was so disappointed. The two things that were a joy to us are now gone. We are thankful that he didn't take the computer, but it still hurts. It seems like we'e doing all the giving and no receiving. I told Joseph that, maybe I need to become a Christian like the man in the "Pineapple Story". Lord, please help me to release these things to you. They are your things anyway, they were bought with money given by you- so if it gets stolen-- I guess you have a reason. Your word says that You are our protection, so I leave the whole matter with you. I can't carry it, it's too heavy for me.

4 comments:

  1. I remember hearing this story so many times. She used to tell it almost every time I left the back door unlocked. I think that in the last year she finally gave up trying to get the rest of us to lock the door and just locked it herself before she went to bed. It often amazes me that someone so cautious and thoughtful by nature could simultaneously be so loving and non-judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. navigate to this websiteclick this link here now useful referenceinvestigate this site navigate hereRead Full Article

    ReplyDelete