Friday, October 12, 2012

The Unforced Rhythms of Grace

Matt. 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” The “Unforced Rhythms of Grace” is a phrase used by Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30 in the Message translation. It became Debbie’s (and mine) favorite quote and a daily guide to the way she lived life. It reflected her ability to live in the moment, completely at peace, trusting God to take care of all the details of life without worry, stress or strain. After talking this over with my son on a trip to Key West this week, I decided to begin to read through her daily journal which she kept for over 25 years, and to post selections on here. My long term goal is to write the story of her life, in particular, the last seven years in which she managed to love those around her, be at peace with herself and stay intensely joyful while in a life and death battle with terminal illness. Please bookmark this blog and log in here on a regular basis to see posts from her journal. Thank you all for your love, encouragement and prayers. Joseph Holbrook

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good idea, Joe, a real labor of love. I'll follow your blog. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joseph. Vicki and I would definitely like to read more like this. This could be therapeutic and healing for a lot of people who knew and loved Debbie (and you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to hearing Debbie speak to me again.

    ReplyDelete