Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jeremiah 29:11 and prayer for Joseph

Shortly after Debbie’s diagnosis and just before I went to Brazil, someone shared Jeremiah 29:11 with me. Then 2 or 3 other people shared it with us independently. Debbie and I found comfort in it. When I arrived in Brazil, I visited as many Catholic and Protestant churches as I could as part of my research. In EVERY single service (11 or 12), Jeremiah 29:11 was read out loud (in Portuguese of course) or referred to. Coincidence?  I think not.

Over the seven years we often took comfort and found courage in the words from Jeremiah. However, it occurred to me on more than one occasion that maybe the promise was not for both of us, but rather for me. I kept that secret doubt to myself. For Debbie, there was ultimately a different and much better promise: “whereI am, you will be also.

Dealing with long-term, chronic illness can have severe and devastating effects on individuals and families. Often there is divorce, or families or friendships are ruptured. Debbie knew this and sensed the potential negative effects that her illness and death might have on me, and in this passage, she prayed for me. I am still leaning on these prayers!




1 comment:

  1. Our daily rhythms of prayer and worship bring normalcy to our lives when we face a great disasters or success.

    ReplyDelete