Wednesday, November 28, 2012

July 7, 1987 - Sarah's Birthday


Bogota, Colombia         - Warm

Today, our Sarah Beth is 11 years old, and becoming a lady in many ways. Yesterday, Joseph took her out to lunch and to see a movie (Star Trek 4). She dressed up really
pretty in a we between (blue) jumpsuit and a blue top. They had lunch at Pizza Hut. It was a really special time for Sarah, Joseph said she held is hand and talked constantly while they walked. 

Today I took her to Col Subsidio and she picked out a pretty blonde haired, blue eyed baby doll for her present. She was having a hard time deciding between the doll and the clothes, as if she was on the line for childhood and womanhood.  Joseph is in Medellin so Marta Castillo baked cupcakes and decorated them and we celebrated with Aunt Carol, Uncle Lyle, Soraya, Claudia, Patricia, Fernando (Soraya's sister & brother) and Mommy, Jessica, Ruth and John. We sang "Happy Birthday" and ate cupcakes, ice cream and lollipops from Uncle Lyle. 






4 comments:

  1. These are great memories! Only a crazy gringo would take a wife with 4 children to live in one of the most dangerous countries in the world and drop them off in a Spanish speaking school with no preparation. This birthday was one of the few that I actually made it to for Sarah.

    I always seemed to be busy on July 7th ... but i am glad for this memory (thank you Debbie!) and grateful for the way Sarah took responsibility for the other 3 during our time there, although it was probably not fair to her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of my favorite memories is when sarah and Jessica took Micah and me to the movies. When we got home there was no one there (the Biggs thought the movie qould be longer). Sarah and Jessy carried us through the rain to a church member's house. I never once was scarred. Sarah always made me feel safe and like we were on an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing about that birthday... the only part I still remember is going to see the movie with dad. That was fun and made me feel like an adult. I also remember that the next year for my birthday dad took me with him to Medellin. I really enjoyed going on a trip with him and we stayed in a tall hotel with a pool and restaurant on the roof.

    Ruth, I'm glad I always made you feel safe! I remember that day and I wan't even scared... I was excited bc we were on a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BAD DAD!
    Our Colombian friends were horrified that I slipped up and my children were wondering around lost on the streets of Bogotá Colombia.

    ReplyDelete